5/6J: Welcome to Wonderopolis – How Long is a Marathon?

Hello Room 13 and 5/6J here is your first introduction to Wonderopolis. The task that has been placed on the post connects us to the Olympics and will lead you into a deeper thinking mode.

Don’t leave your comments on the Wonderopolis site but on our blog. For the 5/6J students you will be interacting closely with this Olympic task and your responses will be part of some of this weeks Homework tasks. Remember your comments are to be just like responding to text and evidence is to be supplied to all remarks you make.

Click on the following link to explore the wonderful world of wonderopolis.

Wonderopolis: How long is a marathon?

One thought on “5/6J: Welcome to Wonderopolis – How Long is a Marathon?

1. Riduan
    July 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

A marathon goes up to 42.195 kilometers because I searched severel websites and I also asked my sister and she said around about 40 km. I used wikepedia but then is went on marathon.ahotu.com and it said it was 42.195 as well.

• July 23, 2012 at 11:23 am

Excellent work Riduan. I like the way you used Wiki but remembered that this is not always right. Thank you for sharing a website others may use.

2. zoey
    July 24, 2012 at 7:09 am

The official length of a marathon is 42,195 or 26 miles and 385 yards. I got this information from en. wikipedia.org/wiki/marathon I was not sure if it was correct so I went on http://www.topendsports.com and checked if it was correct.

3. zoey
    July 24, 2012 at 7:18 am

I feel really sorry for Rick because he was born in tragedy and he has a speech disability. now i am here without a disability. i am puting this website up seeing that it didn’t work on my last post. en.wikipedia.org

4. josh
    July 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm

really good info wiki’s good.

5. riley atlee
    July 26, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m very sad but happy at the same time because noboby wants to have a disabilty because they think they are difrferent to every boby else but theres noboby that is perfect. So rick and his dad do the unthink able and go in a Marathon but Ricks dad isnt a running so that is trying something that you havent had a chance to train but better yet his doing it for his son and really made me think about my dad and if he would of done it for me if i want to run a marathon be couldnt walk.
    by Riley Atlee

• riley atlee
      July 26, 2012 at 8:05 am

Boston
      26.2 miles or 42.195
      Athletics at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Men’s marathon
      winner samuel kamau Wanjiru time : 2:06:32
      world record: Haile Gebrselassie time : 2:04:26
      don’t know how long 2008 Summer Olympics – Men’s marathon is?

6. Scott
    July 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

The fastest marathon time is 2:03:02 by Mutai, Geoffrey.

I got my infomation from:

7. Scott
    July 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

My respones:

This clip breaks my heart, I cant believe how determind they are to show what they can do. The dad (Dick) really wants to do this for his son, what their feeling is beyoned me. I can see the look in thier eyes sparkling with love for each other, it’s obvious that they have a goal but no-one knows what it is.
    With their bond they can accomplish any thing.

8. jordan
    July 27, 2012 at 12:17 am

A marathon goes for 42,195.

9. July 27, 2012 at 12:24 am

I very sick and sory for rick i love him with all my heart . please fell sory for him beacuse i watch that
    vido please write a comment

10. July 27, 2012 at 12:28 am

Dear Mrs Joyce your the most wonderful teacher. I hope im in your grade next year. love Jayden kerrison.

11. zannah
    July 27, 2012 at 12:30 am

A marathon goes for 42.195 even other races seem long as well.

12. Hai
    July 27, 2012 at 12:34 am

42.195 kilometres is the offical length for a marathon.
    The fastest finsh time was 2 hours 3 minutes and 38 seconds by Patrick Makau Musyoki in 2011.

13. Ashley Lont
    July 27, 2012 at 2:21 am

The official length for a marathon is 42.195km. It was apparently inspired byPheidippides who was a greek soldier but then after the “War of Marathons” became a messenger.

14. Jaymes
    July 27, 2012 at 2:42 am

It’s 42.195km because when I asked the teacher he said 42.195km and he was positive. A marathon is something that goes for a long time.

15. zannah
    July 27, 2012 at 3:10 am

Mrs.Mitchell thinks that 5/6J’s blog is very exciting ,thanks to Zannah and Talia for teaching Mrs.Mitchell all about it.